HIDRION system is based on producing mostly copper ions, whose properties as a bactericide, algaecide and flocculant have been recognised since Roman times. It is a solution that drastically reduces the need for chemicals, and is therefore environmentally friendly.
Health and quality of life
- The ioniser prevents breathing problems like asthma, and irritation of the skin, eyes or mucous membranes.
- It also reduces the risk of cancer that is associated to the by-products of chlorine treatment.
- Our ioniser needs only a copper content between 0.3 and 0.5 ppm that is far below the authorized copper level that the World Health Organisation recommends for drinking water (2.0 ppm).
- The Environmental Protection Agency in USA classifies copper as Group D, not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity.
- The Ionization allows the drastic reduction of chlorine or other oxidants (bromine, active oxygen, etc.):
- For private pools, till 95%, making the water much more pleasant. You will have much less chlorine in your pool then in your shower!
- For public pools, the chlorine reduction is between 60-70%, creating a very low level of combined chlorine, and therefore saving a lot of water
- Return on investment, and only considering the chlorine savings, is between 2 and 3 years for private pools and between 1 and 2 years for public pools. See payback examples here.
- Low energy consumption, the same as a 7 watt light bulb.
- Low cost for electrode replacement kits, the only consumable component. Electrode kits have an average lifespan of 2 years, and cost around 15% of the total price of the system.
- Drastically reduces the use of chemical products, decreasing the use of chlorine by 95 %.
- The water can be reused to water the garden.
Reliable and Safe
- Tried and tested products, with almost 6.000 units already installed in different countries and climates
- Drastically reduces the risks caused by transporting and handling dangerous chemical products
- Fully automatic system: it runs at the same time as the pool pump, so you can leave the house, for long periods, without worrying.
- You can finally save your time for using the pool
Guarantee and Technical Assistance
HIDRION has a 24 month guarantee against manufacture defects. Developed and manufactured in Portugal for more than 20 years, this is a guarantee of:
- Efficient technical support
- Constant availability of any component (consumables or replacement parts)
- Fast deliveries to anywhere in the World
- National network with more than 150 selling points including Madeira and Açores
- HIDRION is protected by a National Invention Patent and European Patent.
HOW IT WORKS
The HIDRION system uses electrolysis, which releases positive metal ions that destroy the cells of negatively charged pollutants, such as bacteria, fungi and algae in the water, leaving it pure and healthy.
Based on an empirically observed principle, from the Roman times, we have managed to improve a metal ionisation device, using an original and patented idea for an electrode arrangement. As well as making cleaning almost entirely unnecessary, it ensures the “ionic bombardment” of all the water that passes through the system, increasing the efficiency of the process.
To control de operation of the HIDRION system we chose to regulate the amount of copper in the water. The concentration of copper ions should be between 0.3 and 0.5ppm or mg/l, which corresponds to a concentration of less than a ¼ of the recommended level for drinking water. This concentration should be checked with the supplied free copper tests kit.
The installation is very easy and quick, and can be carried out by a technician in only 2 hours, independently if it is a new or a used pool. The HIDRION system is installed in the pool piping between the pump and the filter. The system runs automatically, being commanded by the same timer used for the pump.
In order to guarantee an effective filtration of the water, during the warmest months and periods of greatest pool usage, all the water must circulate through the filter at least twice a day. During the periods with less usage (and with colder water – winter), the water circulation can be reduced for 1- 2 hours per day.
For usage in private pools
For usage in public pools:
The valve in the main section has to be slightly restricted, so that we oblige a small part of the flow to pass our cells. This water will collect the ions and will transport them into the pool.
An ion is an atom with an electric charge as the result of having lost or gained one or more electrons.
In order to make the current flow, the electrodes are grouped into 2 groups with opposite polarities (+ / -). Therefore, each electrode has always a “neighbour” with a different polarity from its own.
- We recommend a copper content in swimming pool water of 0.3 to 0.5mg/l, which is far below the limits recommended by the World Health Organization for drinking water (2.0mg/l).
The E.P.A. (Environment Protection Agency) has set 1.3 ppm as the maximum level. The Environmental Protection Agency in USA classifies copper as Group D, not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity.
- In terms of electricity, the connection to electrodes – the only point in contact with water – runs on direct current and a maximum of 24 Volts.
- Looking inside the transparent ionisation containers and checking how much they have been used, by how thin they are (if they are as thin as a wire, they need replacing).
- By turning on the Hidrion electric switchboard potentiometer to its maximum. If there is no increase in the number of LEDs.
- For switchboards with a “Check Electrodes” warning LED, if the light is flashing, it is time to buy a new set of electrodes.
- Helps to effective iron absorption
- It is essential for the use of vitamin C
- Plays an important role in converting enzymes
- Protects against cardiovascular disease
- Anti-Inflammatory and useful in some forms of arthritis (bracelets use)
- Stimulates the immunity
Vitamin supplement pills often have quantities of copper equivalent to drinking 3 litres of water from your swimming pool!
The Environmental Protection Agency in USA classifies copper as Group D, not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity.
- By checking the current intensity on the LEDs on the electrical switchboard.
- By checking the copper content in the water using the copper kit supplied.
All chemicals used in high concentration can stain swimming pools.
But if some satins appear, it is easy to remove by reducing temporarily the pH till 5.0 and wait 1 week. At the same time you have to renew a part of the water.
The number of working hours of the swimming pool pump is usually recommended by the technician in charge of the filtering system. Usually, all the swimming pool water goes through your filter at least twice a day during summer months.
If the system breaks down, however, you have a 24 month guarantee and Technical Assistance from the manufacturer.
If there are high levels of calcium and high pH, it may be necessary to unscrew the 4 screws and clean the electrodes. Cleaning can be carried out simply by rubbing the electrodes with a knife or by immersing the electrodes in hydrochloric acid, used to lower pH.
Electrodes are another consumable which has to be replaced roughly every 2 years. The annual cost of a new set of electrodes is less than 15% of the initial cost of the system.
We have technicians all over the country who are able to install HIDRION. Please contact us.
You will only need to periodically test the copper content and adjust the potentiometer when necessary.
In this type of situation, and if you have an automatic pool cleaner, we recommend you leave it on as it will extract all the dirt from the bottom of your swimming pool.
Because our system needs only small quantities of oxidising products, you should set your salt-based system to its minimum setting.
- It improves the sand filter efficiency due to its flocculation capacity.
- It increases the sand’s usable life. It usually needs to be replaced every 3 years, but will now last longer (disinfectant metal particles will be part of the sand)
It is important to note that the amount of chlorine we recommend with Hidrion is so low that it cannot be detected by most chlorine testing kits. We recommend this amount of chlorine because we need its oxidising effect for organic matter, in case of occasional, unpredictable situations such oil, fat or organic matter getting into the pool water.